Raumars welcomes artists to apply for a residence from the fields of applied arts (incl. design), architecture, handcraft (incl. textile), performing arts (incl. dance & theatre), music and visual arts (incl. photography). Residencies last usually from 2 months up to 4 months.
The applicants are expected to present a project plan for an environmental, public or community art project, which will be realized during the residence, most often in collaboration with local people. The main selection criteria will be the artists’ motivation to work within a social context, the proposal and the quality of previous art. Many of the projects are carried out with children or youth, but artists actualize the project according to their wishes and collaborate with any group. You don't have to have previous teaching experience, but you have to be able to carry out the project. Also English should be spoken reasonably well. Besides individual artist we can invite couples or small groups that can stay in a same apartment. Please see the apartment.
Please include a description to your application of a group you wish to collaborate with and a budget within you plan to work. Artists get at most 200 e in a month for materials (incl. equipment rentals etc.) against receipts. Costs exceeding are to be paid by the artist(s). The accepted artists will get time to practice their own art and an opportunity to co-operate with local institutions according to his/her proposal.
Application time is once a year in springtime. The application deadline for the next year is annually the 21st April. In 2013 you apply for 2014, in 2014 you apply for 2015 etc.
The residency periods that artists can apply for 2014 are:
1. FEBRUARY – MAY, 4 months
JUNE – JULY, 2 months. Booked!
2. AUGUST – OCTOBER, 3 months
3. NOVEMBER - DECEMBER, 2 months. Independent working. No production money.
Raumars A-i-R collaborates with local schools, art institutions, museums, music and dance schools, different associations and festivals. Production manager assists with finding collaborative group or people to the project. In summertime artists have a possibility to collaborate with e.g. Rauma Lace Week, Jazz/Classic/Blues music weeks or Blue Sea Film Festival, depending on a project. November-December residence is to be realized more independently.
One of the selected artists in 2014 will have a possibility to an exhibition in the Studio of Lönnström Art Museum. The artist(s) will be chosen according to applications and by approval of the Lönnström Art Museum's personnel.
If you should wish to collaborate with Rauma Maritime Museum, they are interested in co-operation with artist during the spring period 2014 (ie. Feb-May). Rauma Maritime Museum is a culture historical museum specialized in the maritime cultural heritage of Rauma, to which the sea and seafaring have always been vitally important. The artist for this co-operation project will be chosen according to applications and by the approval of the Rauma Maritime Museum's personnel.
The theme of the project should have something to do with the sea, maritime history, sailing ships of the 1900th century, shipbuilding or the every day life of a sailor, etc. As additional information/inspiration: the Maritime Museum plans to open a renewed exhibition about the traditions and habits of the sailor culture, e.g. equatorial baptism in Nov-Dec 2013. The Maritime Museum can e.g. offer assistance with background information (documents, photographs, artifacts) concerning the selected theme, offer space for workshops with selected target groups or exhibitions.
For your application, you need:
- Application form. It should also include your preferred period of time as well what time isn’t suitable at all.
- Clear & realistic project plan for an environmental/public or community art project. The aim of the letter should be describing the kind of project you imagine doing in Rauma, 1 x A4. Please specify, whether you are planning to work on a new project or continue an old one.
- Few lines summary of a plan.
- Work plan for a possible personal art practice while in Rauma, 1 x A4.
- Artist statement, motivation and previous community art practice, 1 x A4.
- CV and samples of your recent work (format: CD / DVD / photo / video / printed portfolios), max 10 minutes worth of video samples.
- Preferably include digital documentation of all parts of your application, especially the text parts as application form, CV, project plan etc.
- Please compress images and document to 72 dpi. The e-mail application shall occupy no more than 4 MB. All submitted material should be both Mac and PC compatible.
Applications will not be returned. Please, do not send any originals. Sending the application via e-mail is ok, but if you e-mail your application please still print out the application form, sign it and air mail it.
The selection will be made by the board of Raumars with some members from collaborator organizations.
Before submitting your application please read carefully the Application form, Apartment and FAQ.
The names of the selected artists will be published on our website by the 30th of August. The selected artists will be also informed personally before the date.