The RaumArs Artist-in-Residence Programme started in 1997. In 1999 RaumArs became an independent association with the aim of bringing the art world and the community closer to each other.
RaumArs functions in the Satakunta region in western Finland with help from local art and cultural institutions, organisations and individuals. RaumArs is a member of ResArtis – Wolrdwide Network of Artist Residencies.
RaumArs' long-term and solid parter is the Rauma Art Museum, that supports artist-in-residence activities by professional assistance.
The purpose of RaumArs is to take art out of museums and galleries, and to work in a social context to create innovative links between artists, individuals and communities. Professional artists produce interesting works and projects, which are open to all kind of participants. Aim is also in developing connections between artists from Satakunta region and artists in residence.
RaumArs is artistically widely ranged; it includes architecture, applied art, design, performing arts (dance, music, theatre) and visual arts (film, graphics, media, painting, photographty, video). Annually 3–12 international or national artist are invited to work and live in the city of Rauma. Artists are selected through an application process.
During the residency artists create communal/public/environmental/site specific artworks. Moreover artists have the possibility to create independent art works and to present their work in the form of an exhibition/performance/education/workshop/event during and at the end of the residency period. Exhibitions can not be guaranteed, because RaumArs do not have a space of it's own.
• Arts Promotion Centre Finland 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017
• City of Rauma 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017
• Finnish Cultural Foundation 2014, 2015
• Erkki Paasikivi Foundation 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017
• Arts Promotion Centre Finland / Satakunta, Pori 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017
• Pori centre for children's culture 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017
• Vakkasuomen Nuorisosäätiö 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017
• Erik Rosenlew foundation 2015, 2016, 2017
• Alfred Kordelin Foundation Rauma branch 2014, 2016, 2017
Other supporters and sponsors
2014 Union for Rural Education and Culture and Kiinteistö Oy Tarvontori
2015 Erkko Näppi Oy, Eurajoen Romu Oy, Finlandia Foundation, Finnpilot, Kiinteistö Oy Tarvontori, Kukukari Oy, Logistikas Oy, Meriaura Maritime Logistics, Monentoimentalo, Rauma Marine Constructions Oy, Rauma Works Oy, Rauman Betoni Oy, Rauman Merihistoriallinen Seura ry, Tapani Kuusisto / Rauman KTK Oy, Viitama Raumo Tmi, VG-Shipping.
2016: Rauman Merihistoriallinen Seura ry.
2017: Rauma Reimari Lions Club.
Board of Directors 2018–
• Jenny Vuorela; student/visual arts in Kankaanpää art school,chair
• Janne Koski; director/Rauma Art Museum, vice chair
• Elina Junnila; entrepreneur/social and health care
• Katariina Mannio; visual artist, Rauma Print Makers, Rauma Art School teacher
• Senni Pöyry; MFA, NYTE association/Pori
• Jean-Albert Sirniö; student, UTU/Rauma Faculty of Education
• Jenni Suominen; dancer, practical nurce
• Ruut Luoto; MA Advanced Theatre Practice, visual artist
• Hanna Luukkonen; clinical psychologist & visual artist, NYTE association/Pori
Secretary of the board
• Executive director and secretary of the board Hannele Kolsio, M.Phil (art education)
Photos on the web pages ©RaumArs archive 1997-05 and ©Hannele Kolsio 2006 onwards, unless otherwise mentioned.